Thursday, October 4, 2007

Blessing of Animals

Today, the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi, patron of animals, blessings of animals are taking place in parishes across the world. Our cat was suitably censed and soaked with holy water by the ordained hand of Fr. Sid Sidor as he spoke the words of blessing. We now have a holy cat. Our other cat remains unblessed, we being unable to handle two cats at the service. Tonight the holy cat bit the unholy cat’s neck.

There are many days traditionally associated with specific blessings:

Feast of the Holy Theophany / Epiphany – January 6th
– blessing of water / blessing of chalk (Western) / blessing of houses

Feast of the Presentation / Candlemas – February 2nd
– blessing of candles (Western)

Feast of St. Blaise – February 3rd
blessing of throats (Western)

Flowery Sunday / Palm Sunday
– blessing of pussy willows (Eastern) and palm branches

Pascha / Easter
blessing of Easter baskets (Eastern)

Feast of St. Elias – July 20th
– blessing of vehicles (Eastern)

Feast of the Transfiguration – August 6th
– blessing of fruit (Eastern)

Feast of the Holy Dormition – August 15th
– blessing of flowers (Eastern)

6 comments:

Dusty M Brahlek said...

I too was bitten by the "holy" cat... though that was before he was holy. Maybe I should be worried... Not quite sure though!

My puppy Priest was blessed as well. I am not sure he too too kindly to the being censed, but he really enjoyed the holy water and tried to lick up the drops that were on the ground!

BTW it is really cool that every year on my birthday I can go to the Blessing of the Candles; however, it does put a downer on any birthday dinner plans.

Anonymous said...

I meant to have my puppy blessed. I mistakenly thought that was going on today, Sunday. Charlie has been slighted and can only hope to avoid the fate of the one who came before him, a mysterious early death. My birthday is July 20, the feast day of my nephew's patron saint. There is a tradition of blessing vehicles on this day. Mine never was blessed directly, to my knowledge. However, my life has been supernaturally spared when I was in it on two seperate occassions it would be reasonable to assume death.

Dusty M Brahlek said...

BTW at least in the Western Church they will bless pets upon request if you want them to. All you have to do is make arrangements with your parish priest.

John R.P. Russell said...

I have yet to hear any priest refuse a request for any blessing.

Anonymous said...

I aim to have found a cat for Monica by next year so that we can take part in this ritual.

John R.P. Russell said...

A fellow parishioner had his pugs blessed that evening. Last night he told me that his dog, who was blind, can now see.

Most Popular Posts this Month

Most Popular Posts of All Time